Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fulfillment

So over the past week it's been a little depressing dealing with all of the Belmont stuff... I've literally been on the phone/on hold with financial aid every day (as well as everyone else apparently) to try to figure out my loan stuff and my pell grants. It didn't help when a friend called me asking where to turn in her check for school- her paid in full, ridiculous amount of money check that her dad could just write her. We also missed a white water rafting trip with some friends because with the semester starting, we just don't have extra money laying around. It also came to my attention that we have several couples who had children young, and are doing really well for themselves. (Granted, good for them, if they can still have fun, AND pay their bills.) So as I was moping around feeling sorry for myself b/c we can't just write a 14,000 dollar check for the semester, go on fun vacations on the spur of the moment, frustrated/panicking at the thought of the school canceling my classes because THEY haven't gotten my loan stuff situated, and pretty much staying cooped up in my house being a downer Debbie I realized how much of a brat I was being.

I am so blessed it's ridiculous.
1. I have a relationship with God and a knowing that He will always be there for me and will always provide for us.
2. I have a love that some people spend their lifetime searching for- a man that I can't want to grow old with- a man that wants me, all of me, forever- and a man that will always have my heart.
3. That whole roof over my head and food in my belly thing ;)
4. The opportunity to attend one of the best nursing programs in the South to be the only thing I could ever think of doing as a profession.
5. My health.
6. Some pretty awesome family and friends.
7. We don't have children.. While children are a good thing for some, right now it's not a good thing for us, no matter if we want them, our focus needs to be on school and fulfilling our dreams.

"Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions."
— Elizabeth Gilbert


So the next time I start to get all "life isn't fair" bla bla bla, I'm just gonna remember this list and be fulfilled. My journey is just beginning, and I'll have plenty of time to do what my heart desires :)

"There is so much about my fate that I cannot control, but other things do fall under the jurisdiction. I can decide how I spend my time, whom I interact with, whom I share my body and life and money and energy with. I can select what I can read and eat and study. I can choose how I'm going to regard unfortunate circumstances in my life-whether I will see them as curses or opportunities. I can choose my words and the tone of voice in which I speak to others. And most of all, I can choose my thoughts."
— Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment